80:20 Management Consulting

80:20 Management Consulting
part of the 80:20 Group

Thursday, November 22, 2012

HHS, Home Health & Safety, OH&S's slightly dodgy sibling

I spend a lot of time working with companies to help improve their Health and Safety performance, however sometimes I forget to apply those same principles when I get home, and naturally there are consequences.

As some of you may know I am a rev head and enjoy restoring old motorcycles and tinkering with cars.


Generally this kind of work is conducted with a beer in hand, my best pair of safety thongs (flip flops for the overseas readers) and a high visibility singlet (high visibility from the sunburn radiating off my shoulders).

Unfortunately this also greatly increases my potential for injury as evidenced below.

Starting with the most recent, removing the chain from the motorbike, chain rotated and munched my finger through the nail in the sprocket. Should have put the bike in gear first before working on the chain. Can't see it very well in the picture but the tooth of the sprocket went right through my nail.


This one was sheer stupidity, put a soldering iron on the ground for two seconds, stood up to grab something (whilst wearing thongs) turned around and placed my toe squarely on the iron. The iron got stuck to the skin. Smelled reaaaallly bad






Here I slipped whilst trying to loosen a bolt and punched a sharp seat pan on the way through. This did not put me in a very good mood.


And possibly the stupidest of the lot was when I was using a wire brush drill bit to remove paint from a fuel tank. I wasn't concentrating and was wearing a fairly loose t-shirt. I slipped and the drill bit caught in the shirt and worked it's way up my torso munching me here and there on the way. I was lucky I didn't lose a damn nipple (the tear at the top of the shirt is where it finally stopped).




although none of these were particularly life threatening (mostly just involved a lot of swearing, band aids and stern looks from Mrs Taylor), it just goes to show that taking a relaxed view of safety at work or at home can have serious consequences.

In all of these instances, I would have avoided injury if I stopped, thought about what I was doing and planned a bit more carefully before rushing in.

I bet I'm not the only one that feels invincible in my own home sometimes. In most cases, improving safety is a matter of changing attitudes towards safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment